Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Preach It, Sister

This week we've been in our Institute class (seminary classes we take once a month) on "Missiology."  It's been pretty amazing reading through the New Testament through the lens of how God's entire story revolves around the idea of spreading his love, grace, and glory to the ends of the earth.


It's also interesting to note how Jesus "preached" in His day.  Of course He taught large groups which probably looked like sermons, but I doubt He ever lost His temper while condemning people to hell and telling them how to live their lives, (very much like I imagine listening to Jonathan Edwards would have been....)  Maybe there is a time and place for such a sermon.  But when you look at the way Jesus preached, He wasn't behind the pulpit screaming.  He was


sitting at the well with the Samaritan woman instead of preaching to the crowds about the sexual sin...


having a dialogue side by side instead of speaking one-sidedly from a pulpit...


asking thought-provoking questions instead of giving people answers... 


I have never felt gifted in preaching.  I get so distracted and nervous in front of large groups that I can barely articulate thoughts in my head, let alone deliver them somewhat coherently in either language.  I actually looked into changing my major in college when I found out I had to take public speaking.     


But get me one-on-one with a friend, telling stories and sharing life (preferably with a cup of coffee at hand,) and talking about Jesus?  Shoot...  That's where I feel right at home!  That's where I feel God putting words in my head and heart to say at the right time to the right person.  That's where I finally feel like I can preach the Gospel, sitting side by side.


We're not all called to the pulpit.  But we are all called to preach.  And the whole idea of "missions" doesn't always mean packing your apartment up and moving to another country.  But it does mean making disciples - sharing life and Jesus' love with others and teaching the Bible to people wherever they are at.   This is the greatest calling we have!  Which makes sense that it would also bring the greatest joy.  


    

No comments:

Post a Comment